If the lava re-starts and crosses either over or under 130, it will probably do so here:
Chopper 1 made a run to the flow this afternoon. The HVO site was not updated but the County Civil Defense site was. Here is that update:
Eruption Information Update For 10/11/14 At 12:45PM
This is an eruption and lava flow Information Update for Saturday October11th at 12:45pm
Due to an early fire department mission this morning, today’s helicopter assessment was delayed. An assessment performed later this morning showed the flow front remains active and had advanced approximately 50 yards since yesterday. The narrow flow front continues to move northeast and is currently in an area of lighter vegetation east of the forest line. There was little burning activity along the flow front. The second very short and narrow finger or breakout along the north side of the flow front also remains active and has advanced approximately 30 yards but remains behind or further back of the flow front. Smoke conditions in the area was moderate due to the active burning along the edge of the flow.
Current flow activity does not pose an immediate threat to area communities and no evacuation is needed at this time. Area residents will be given adequate notice to safely evacuate should that be necessary.
The public is reminded that the flow is not visible and cannot be accessed from any public areas. Access to the Kaohe Homesteads subdivision will remain restricted to area residents only.
We would like to thank everyone for your patience and understanding and your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated.
Both the HVO and CD reports are accurate but they are not updated together and updated pictures and maps are becoming sporadic. I went to look for myself today. The lava front is splitting because of the terrain. As it does, each finger of the split becomes less massive and energetic; thus the speed of advance continues to slow. Unless there is another round of inflation at Puʻu ʻŌʻō and more fresh lava is supplied, this flow will stop.
Even if it is re-energized, it is very unlikely that it can advance on three fronts, so it will have to pick one. The most likely is still the same one as has been predicted previously, with one exception. It may not cross OVER 130 – it may cross UNDER 130 at either of two spots between the Post Office road and ~400 yards north of the radar speed sign. I am looking for a picture – if I find one I will overlay a topo and show the spot exactly. The road could easily be modified to allow a substantial flow at that spot.